#1 July 3rd, 2004 03:56 AM

Belgareth

Real-time Communications?

Looking at the recent activity in this forum, I was wondering if anyone thought it would be worth while trying to cajole, browbeat or otherwise pressure Head into considering a real-time chat room, rather than the delayed asynchronous communication which this message board offers. Not that I would ever criticise the level of effort that has been put into creating and maintaining this site to date.
I would be interested in conversing with both the members and the creators of the wonderful folios, perhaps swapping ideas about what is considered to be great and good in the world of photographic images or the reasons behind why we are all here. In fact anything that doesn't prolong the current thread on piercing et al ;-)

And - just for Head's appeasement - Long live ISM!!!!!

[color="Red"]require "help.pl";[/color]

#2 July 3rd, 2004 06:26 PM

Head

Re: Real-time Communications?

Belgareth wrote:

Looking at the recent activity in this forum, I was wondering if anyone thought it would be worth while trying to cajole, browbeat or otherwise pressure Head into considering a real-time chat room, rather than the delayed asynchronous communication which this message board offers. Not that I would ever criticise the level of effort that has been put into creating and maintaining this site to date.
I would be interested in conversing with both the members and the creators of the wonderful folios, perhaps swapping ideas about what is considered to be great and good in the world of photographic images or the reasons behind why we are all here. In fact anything that doesn't prolong the current thread on piercing et al ;-)

And - just for Head's appeasement - Long live ISM!!!!!

Would you like video with that?

#3 July 3rd, 2004 08:50 PM

Belgareth

Head wrote:

Would you like video with that?

If that is an honest question and not a saracstic one - yes, I would as I have no reason to remain anonymous. However, I think it would be unfair to enable video at the risk of jeopardising the benefits a chat room would give to the members who are still suffering slower connections.

#4 July 4th, 2004 05:35 PM

terryb45

Having seen some of the inane chat that goes on in 'real time' I don't support the idea at all. Also the chat tends to peak at times which don't suit every country. The message board does, I think, produce more reasoned arguments and allows everyone to input whatever their time zone.

#5 July 4th, 2004 08:57 PM

Belgareth

terryb45 wrote:

Having seen some of the inane chat that goes on in 'real time' I don't support the idea at all. Also the chat tends to peak at times which don't suit every country. The message board does, I think, produce more reasoned arguments and allows everyone to input whatever their time zone.

I have also seen the inane content of some chat rooms but would hope that the members of ISM were a little more sane than to enter into that sort of communication. I accept your comment about timezones but, at a guess, there is a fairly good distribution of members and folio generators across the globe and I was not proposing the use of a chat room instead of a message board but as an enhancement to it. As far as "peak" times go, I am an antipodian, relative to Australia, and you can't get much further removed from the "source" of this website than that. Having said all of that, it was only a suggestion and the lack of a chat room will not change my very positive opinion of ISM and the reason for it's existence.

#6 July 18th, 2004 09:44 AM

alexis

I'd be happy to sit in such a room, and moderate it during the evening (Aust. time)... some of the chat scripts chew up resources though.  I'd lean towards something reminiscent of IRC, with a java portal for those who don't know how to connect using specific software such as mIRC.

Of course, there would always be the problem of the room lying dormant during certain periods of time - initially I believe it would require people to hang around.... wait for others to show up... so that we all learn what time/s we can find each other.

Anyhoo, that's the case I present -- I'd love to hear what the boss (bosses?) opinions are on the topic.

P.S. I'm not for video chat, due to bandwidth but also due to the fact that my computer RESETS if I turn my webcam on at the moment. Eek.

P.P.S. I spend too much time at my computer.

#7 July 18th, 2004 07:31 PM

Belgareth

alexis wrote:

I'd be happy to sit in such a room, and moderate it during the evening (Aust. time)... some of the chat scripts chew up resources though.  I'd lean towards something reminiscent of IRC, with a java portal for those who don't know how to connect using specific software such as mIRC.

Of course, there would always be the problem of the room lying dormant during certain periods of time - initially I believe it would require people to hang around.... wait for others to show up... so that we all learn what time/s we can find each other.

Anyhoo, that's the case I present -- I'd love to hear what the boss (bosses?) opinions are on the topic.

P.S. I'm not for video chat, due to bandwidth but also due to the fact that my computer RESETS if I turn my webcam on at the moment. Eek.

P.P.S. I spend too much time at my computer.

Looks like we both have the same approach to chat rooms. I agree, you have to "hang around" in an empty room sometimes but for the ones on broadband that isn't a problem. I'm sure we can find members from around the world who are willing to provide a 24 hour cover between them. If you sit in the room in the evening and I do the same, then we cover 12 hours, although we'll never manage to chat to each other as we are 12 hours apart!!! Over to Head again me thinks.

Board footer