#1 September 23rd, 2005 07:41 AM

SCSIgirl

Listless

And since I have accomplished exactly 0 today,  and my motovation is so low I actually sat through my son's cartoons,  I have a non-sexual question for our etymologists out there  (I know we have a few):

Where did the word "listless" come from?  Is is British, Aussie?  Does it mean that I have no list to accomplish?  Or is it to do with listing ships?

"Apple of my Eye", "bated breath", "brave new world", "caught red-handed" - all coined by Shakespeare.

#2 September 23rd, 2005 08:15 AM

centrevom

Re: Listless

SCSIgirl wrote:

Where did the word "listless" come from?  Is is British, Aussie?  Does it mean that I have no list to accomplish?  Or is it to do with listing ships?

It comes from an obsolete verb: "to list", meaning to desire or to please.  So listess = having no desire or wish.  The root is the same as "lust".  So the word could have been lustless.

#3 September 23rd, 2005 11:33 AM

SCSIgirl

centrevom wrote:

It comes from an obsolete verb: "to list", meaning to desire or to please.  So listess = having no desire or wish.  The root is the same as "lust".  So the word could have been lustless.

Actually, I'm kinda lustless at the moment, too.  THX for the info.

"Apple of my Eye", "bated breath", "brave new world", "caught red-handed" - all coined by Shakespeare.

#4 September 24th, 2005 12:16 AM

wantingscott

oh, i always thought it was from a sailing term. when there is no wind, the boat is listless. in a wind (you're moving, this is good...) the boat lists to port of starboard.

the doldrums are belt around the equator notorious for days with out wind, thus "stuck in the doldrums, listless".

right now, i'm jobless... i was looking in a costume catalogue. instead of "bum" mask, they now use the PC euphamism "in-between-jobs" mask. grrrrrrrr...

scott

Board footer