#26 June 13th, 2005 04:58 PM

Manring

Re: Stranger in a Strange Land

Yes, Marge Piercy and her novel He, She, and It, about the future and a cyborg (a word Piercy coined, melded from cyber and organism) and its/his involvement in its surrounds and interactions with various people, es[pecially his owner, with whom he eventually makes love.

The whole story is simultaneously told with that of the Golem (a manmade creature of another sort) in the Prague ghetto of old.

A really fascinating read to see the two stories intertwine. Besides being a fabulous poet, Piercy writes a mean story and gets her feminist views across quite well.

M.

voyeur2 wrote:

Anyone got other writers to propose?

#27 June 14th, 2005 07:28 AM

voyeur2

Thanks for the names.

Here are a few others. 

Ian M Banks  Pretty gritty space opera.

Larry Niven

and in the fantasy realm after Tollkein

Roger Zelazny particularly the Amber series. 
But I remember one where it starts in a dungeon with our hero manacled to a stone wall ten feet above the floor.  A giant comes by and rips the leg off another of the ones on the wall.  When the giant leaves munching on a thigh, our hero says to the other manacled ones  "Ok now, here's my plan."

I also read the book version of Princess Bride, and Silverlock by John Meyers Meyer.  Both excellent.

Have I ever lied to you before?

#28 June 18th, 2005 12:53 PM

trebora

zille wrote:

You are right that he was a real inventer of the terminology and shape of some of our ideas about cyber-stuff (Which is funny as he wrote the books on a type-writer and couldn't even find the on-button to a computer!) but when I went to re-read Neuromancer last year, I found that his visonariness had led to his being "dated" really fast.  Or the tech industry is just growing/changing so fast...

This thread got me rereading gibson books.  I've just gone through the bridge books.  Neuromance is coming up on my list.  I'm curious what you felt was dated.

---
One by one, the penguins slowly steal my sanity
---

#29 June 25th, 2005 06:31 AM

mzungu

[QUOTE=voyeur2]
Roger Zelazny particularly the Amber series. 
But I remember one where it starts in a dungeon with our hero manacled to a stone wall ten feet above the floor.  A giant comes by and rips the leg off another of the ones on the wall.  When the giant leaves munching on a thigh, our hero says to the other manacled ones  "Ok now, here's my plan."

I too noted the use of the term, "grok" man, did that evoke some old memories!

Yes, Glory Road was a favorite, and The Moon is a Harsh Mistress-

(if anyone has trouble finding a book, try abe.com  it's an international network of used dealers- amazing what is readily available very reasonably though long out of print, or even a cheaper "used" copy of a very recent publication!)

Indeed the Amber- if I recall correctly, is that the ones where they "shift" through universes?
rather like the Piers Anthony "Mode" Series- which I recently discovered by for plane rides, now that they quit providing magazines-

How about J G Ballard??  I read his early ones back in HS, then recently "Empire of the Sun" auto-biographical.  Whew! now I see where it all came from (Drowned World, Burning World, Terminal Beach etc)

and Theodore Sturgeon?  examining some very interesting human realtionships and mores...

These forums make a facinating and for me, surprising dimention to the site!

cheers-

Board footer