---
One by one, the penguins slowly steal my sanity
---

#2 June 22nd, 2005 06:00 AM

Belgareth

Re: Happy Midwinter

trebora wrote:

Happy midwinter to all of y'all

And from the Northern Hemisphere I bid you a Peaceful Summer Solstice.

[color="Red"]require "help.pl";[/color]

#3 June 22nd, 2005 06:36 AM

wantingscott

trebora,
do you have 6 months of daylight/ 6 months of night?

scott

#4 June 22nd, 2005 06:50 AM

trebora

daylight I've heard of that i think...yeah lots o dark right now.  You get used to that.  Worst thing is during the summer when you come out of the bar at 1 am and the sun is shining in your face.  Its just not right.

---
---

#5 June 22nd, 2005 10:55 PM

SCSIgirl

Belgareth wrote:

And from the Northern Hemisphere I bid you a Peaceful Summer Solstice.

Beware of Druids wishing you any solstice greeting.........

"Apple of my Eye", "bated breath", "brave new world", "caught red-handed" - all coined by Shakespeare.

#6 June 22nd, 2005 10:57 PM

SCSIgirl

wantingscott wrote:

trebora,

scott

That's the Equinox, silly.  This is his longest night of the year.

"Apple of my Eye", "bated breath", "brave new world", "caught red-handed" - all coined by Shakespeare.

#7 June 22nd, 2005 10:58 PM

SCSIgirl

trebora wrote:

Happy midwinter to all of y'all

In honor of your Solstice,  I'll go down and watch girls run around topless on the beach for ya....    ;-}

#8 June 23rd, 2005 03:27 AM

Belgareth

SCSIgirl wrote:

Beware of Druids wishing you any solstice greeting.........

If by Druid you mean someone who believes in Gaia, the sybiosis of all things living and the natural magic of nature, then 'tis I but does that make me scary? If you mean the Druids of myth who supposedly performed ritual sacrifice and all sorts of other misbegotten things then I am offended ;-)

#9 June 23rd, 2005 06:46 AM

trebora

SCSIgirl wrote:

That's the Equinox, silly.  This is his longest night of the year.

speaking of silly.

The equinox is supposed to be 12 hours of day, 12 hours of dark. smile

---
---

#10 June 23rd, 2005 04:08 PM

SCSIgirl

Belgareth wrote:

If by Druid you mean someone who believes in Gaia, the sybiosis of all things living and the natural magic of nature, then 'tis I but does that make me scary? If you mean the Druids of myth who supposedly performed ritual sacrifice and all sorts of other misbegotten things then I am offended ;-)

I was thinking more along the lines of lottsa naked people running around doing wanton sex in total hedonistic abandon....  Oh, wait a minute...  that's a typical rock concert.

#11 June 23rd, 2005 04:14 PM

Belgareth

SCSIgirl wrote:

I was thinking more along the lines of lottsa naked people running around doing wanton sex in total hedonistic abandon....  Oh, wait a minute...  that's a typical rock concert.

Oh, I thought that was ISM!

#12 June 23rd, 2005 05:07 PM

voyeur2

wantingscott wrote:

trebora,

scott

If its anything like the Arctic, where I was on the edge of the Arctic Ocean.  In summer the sun goes around in circles in the sky and it gets pretty hot.  over 100 F or 40C.  at the equnoxes its 12 hours day, 12 night.

Winter for a period - no sun at all.  The farther north you go the longer the period of darkness.

The Antarctic is more extreme temperature wise in winter, less in summer?

Have I ever lied to you before?

#13 June 23rd, 2005 10:18 PM

trebora

At the poles the equinoxs are aproximately the first sun rise or last sunset.  It varies by a bit depending on how far south or north you are.  You can see a hint of light around 1 in the afternoon but we are still about 2 months from the first official sunrise.  As the days go on the will be more and more of that hint of sunrise lasting longer through the day.

The temps are usually around 30F giver or take a few degrees during the summer.  Winter here this year has been quite warm actually.  its usually around -20 to -30 F with some days colder than others.  A few weeks ago it got all the way up to 19 F though.  That was a nice day.

---
---

#14 June 24th, 2005 02:04 AM

voyeur2

trebora wrote:

At the poles the equinoxs are aproximately the first sun rise or last sunset.  It varies by a bit depending on how far south or north you are.  You can see a hint of light around 1 in the afternoon but we are still about 2 months from the first official sunrise.  As the days go on the will be more and more of that hint of sunrise lasting longer through the day.

The temps are usually around 30F giver or take a few degrees during the summer.  Winter here this year has been quite warm actually.  its usually around -20 to -30 F with some days colder than others.  A few weeks ago it got all the way up to 19 F though.  That was a nice day.

Oh yeah.  Antarctica bases are fairly far north of the pole.  In Canada you  dont see many settlements much north of the arctic circle (about 60 degrees north, the line where total night for 1 day a year occurs.  Although it is more like a very long twilight followed by a very long dawn with no actual sun.  The farthest north settlement is named with an Innuit word that translates roughly as "Its dark up there"  Winter temps - wind chill factors extra - are in the -35 to -60 depending on where and how north you are.
True story:
I was at the store (the only one in town) and saw a notice on the notice board.  This was in February.  "If the temperature falls below -35, the family picnic will be postponed."
Schools closed at -40 because it was too cold for the first graders to walk from the edge of town.

Have I ever lied to you before?

Board footer