#1 June 7th, 2005 06:25 AM

liandra_dahl

Lol

I hope this doesn't offend anyone but I am curious. Is LOL only supposed to be used when you are actually laughing out loud, or is it, as it appears with some, to be used when ever you want to imply there is some element of humour involved in your sentence? I find it hard to conceive that some people are really stopping after every sentence they write (in worst cases) to laugh out loud. Come on, this is an adult site, not a teenage chatroom.

just a thought.

Liandra
Often
Laughs

#2 June 7th, 2005 06:51 AM

SCSIgirl

Re: Lol

liandra_dahl wrote:

I hope this doesn't offend anyone but I am curious. Is LOL only supposed to be used when you are actually laughing out loud, or is it, as it appears with some, to be used when ever you want to imply there is some element of humour involved in your sentence? I find it hard to conceive that some people are really stopping after every sentence they write (in worst cases) to laugh out loud. Come on, this is an adult site, not a teenage chatroom.

just a thought.

Liandra
Often
Laughs

Yes, LOL is "laughing Out Loud".  Just as ROTFL is "Rolling On The Floor, Laughing".  just as ROTFLMAO is "Rolling On The Floor Laughing My Ass Off."

A simple smile is usually <G> for "Grin".

"Apple of my Eye", "bated breath", "brave new world", "caught red-handed" - all coined by Shakespeare.

#3 June 7th, 2005 07:38 AM

Belgareth

liandra_dahl wrote:

just a thought.

Liandra
Often
Laughs

As SCSIGirl stated, LOL is Laugh Out Loud but it does seem to have become a habt with some chat room users to end every sentence with it. At least most people in here understand what it means, unlike a poor guy in one chat room who was constantly offending all of the females by using it, because he thought it meant Lots of Love !!!!!

[color="Red"]require "help.pl";[/color]

#4 June 7th, 2005 12:23 PM

liandra_dahl

SCSIgirl wrote:

Yes, LOL is "laughing Out Loud".  Just as ROTFL is "Rolling On The Floor, Laughing".  just as ROTFLMAO is "Rolling On The Floor Laughing My Ass Off."

A simple smile is usually <G> for "Grin".

I knew what it meant, that wasn't the question. The point was, shouldn't you only use it when your actualy doing it, and perhaps some restraint might be involved in how often it's used, because in some instances it's getting a little bit ridiculous.

#5 June 7th, 2005 01:09 PM

nagaloo

So was I being sarcastic?, do I really view Liandra as a goddess??, maybe I am mad at anyone who would even think of forming an opinion against her?, or maybe I am just having a laugh. "Grin"

I need my acronyms. I only use 2 fingers to type. My other hand is busy.

But I will try hard to use them more efficiently.

Stew

The universe is unfolding as it should, and so are the girls on ISM. I love them all.

#6 June 7th, 2005 02:43 PM

SCSIgirl

nagaloo wrote:

So was I being sarcastic?, do I really view Liandra as a goddess??, maybe I am mad at anyone who would even think of forming an opinion against her?, or maybe I am just having a laugh. "Grin"

I need my acronyms. I only use 2 fingers to type. My other hand is busy.

But I will try hard to use them more efficiently.

Stew

Yeah,  I kinda screwed up my post.  I meant to type <G> (Arrow-G-Arrow) means grin.  Now that I think about it, I did type it right because I screwed up the right arrow and had to correct it.

Got it...  the text editor takes out Left Arrow - G - Right Arrow as some sort of command.

"Apple of my Eye", "bated breath", "brave new world", "caught red-handed" - all coined by Shakespeare.

#7 June 8th, 2005 12:29 AM

enigmatic3

It's true: LOL, along with close relations LMAO, LMFAO, ROTFL and ROTFLMAO, seems to have become a general purpose note to reader that the preceding sentence was intended to be side-splittingly amusing  in some regard.  It's lazy, witless and makes little sense (never mind just laughing; has anyone really ever stopped typing mid-sentence to roll on the floor laughing?)

So I'm not a fan either.  But hey, it *is* just the message board of an adult website.  It's hardly the Algonquin LOL

#8 June 8th, 2005 06:48 AM

liandra_dahl

enigmatic3 wrote:

It's true: LOL, along with close relations LMAO, LMFAO, ROTFL and ROTFLMAO, seems to have become a general purpose note to reader that the preceding sentence was intended to be side-splittingly amusing  in some regard.  It's lazy, witless and makes little sense (never mind just laughing; has anyone really ever stopped typing mid-sentence to roll on the floor laughing?)

So I'm not a fan either.  But hey, it *is* just the message board of an adult website.  It's hardly the Algonquin LOL

I'm afraid I don't even know what the Algonquin is but, just a message board or not, I think the LOL have got to go and some sort of regulatory body should be put in place on how often it is used. In fact I think anyone who uses it more than twice in one post should be kicked of the site completely and banned from ever returning. Then they should be hunted down tied in a sack with a few heavey slabs of cement and thrown of the end of a pier.

Now if I don't write LOL at the end of that will you still be able to guess that I am joking?

Anyway, it's not a big deal, live and let live. I would never want to supress laughter in another human being, it's just as stress relieving as a jolly good fuck/ wank.

#9 June 8th, 2005 11:02 AM

Head

liandra_dahl wrote:

I'm afraid I don't even know what the Algonquin is but, just a message board or not, I think the LOL have got to go and some sort of regulatory body should be put in place on how often it is used. In fact I think anyone who uses it more than twice in one post should be kicked of the site completely and banned from ever returning.

When I see someone type LOL I have a mental picture of a frustrated, obese housewife with a box of chocolates and 6 chatroom windows open, Jerry Springer on the TV and a box of wine in the fridge.  There's something to aspire to eh Liandra?

#10 June 8th, 2005 09:55 PM

liandra_dahl

Head wrote:

When I see someone type LOL I have a mental picture of a frustrated, obese housewife with a box of chocolates and 6 chatroom windows open, Jerry Springer on the TV and a box of wine in the fridge.  There's something to aspire to eh Liandra?

ooooo (shiver with fear) you don't even want to know how close I came to being that woman.

#11 June 9th, 2005 07:09 AM

voyeur2

liandra_dahl wrote:

ooooo (shiver with fear) you don't even want to know how close I came to being that woman.

About the Algonquin - it is a very upscale hotel in New Brunswick, Eastern Canada. where nothing but the highest standards are allowed in dress, language and credit cards.

I know a guy who worked there.

And oh yeah, back in the early nineties when I was a regular chatter, and an OP on a Mirc chat room, there was lotsa that type of stuff.  Some people started to use it just to show they were hip too.  I shortly thereafter became too hip to resort to that type of typeing.  He He.  If it's worth a laugh, then do the laugh.

Have I ever lied to you before?

#12 June 9th, 2005 07:29 AM

enigmatic3

voyeur2 wrote:

About the Algonquin - it is a very upscale hotel in New Brunswick, Eastern Canada. where nothing but the highest standards are allowed in dress, language and credit cards.

I know a guy who worked there.

I'm quite sure this hotel exists, and I'm not doubting for a second that you know one of its employees, but my little Algonquin reference was more of a literary one: Dorothy Parker, Robert Benchley, Alexander Woolcott, etc. etc.  The so-called Algonquin Round Table, based in the Algonquin Hotel in New York City circa 1930-ish.  I was drawing comparison to that particular group of intelligent quipsters because I feel certain that they would share my - and Liandra's - view on the use of pointless acronyms.  The LOL in my post was intended as irony, BTW.  Now there's a good acronym: handy, relevant.  I heartily approve of BTW.

Moving on...

#13 June 9th, 2005 08:33 AM

Belgareth

enigmatic3 wrote:

I'm quite sure this hotel exists, and I'm not doubting for a second that you know one of its employees, but my little Algonquin reference was more of a literary one: Dorothy Parker, Robert Benchley, Alexander Woolcott, etc. etc.  The so-called Algonquin Round Table, based in the Algonquin Hotel in New York City circa 1930-ish.  I was drawing comparison to that particular group of intelligent quipsters because I feel certain that they would share my - and Liandra's - view on the use of pointless acronyms.  The LOL in my post was intended as irony, BTW.  Now there's a good acronym: handy, relevant.  I heartily approve of BTW.

Moving on...

Dammit, why can't I get anything right? I thought you were referring to the North American Indian tribe of that name who used to live in Canada, I believe around the St Lawrence River.

[color="Red"]require "help.pl";[/color]

#14 June 9th, 2005 09:04 AM

voyeur2

Belgareth wrote:

Dammit, why can't I get anything right? I thought you were referring to the North American Indian tribe of that name who used to live in Canada, I believe around the St Lawrence River.

The New Yorker John Jacob Aster was a fur trader who traded with the Algonquin.  They were mostly in Quebec, but there were Hurons, Mohawks, Mic'Maac, and Mohicans rattling around in the woods there.  Speaking of literture, I think it was James Fennemore Cooper who was responsible for the Last of the Mohicans.  Wo died of boredom reading the book of the same name.

More stuff than you really wanted I am sure.

From the guy who knows everything (almost) and is wrong a lot of the time, but sounds so danged reasonable ya just gotta believe.

#15 June 9th, 2005 11:14 AM

wantingscott

ah, yes.
if i may elevate this tour-de-fource of a literary thread even higher:

were it not the Mic'Maac Indians whowere also responsible for the Sacred Burial Ground of the Windego as described in Stephen King's "Pet Semetary"

yes, that semetary of dogs, cats, kids and wives...

LO (SORRY!!!! caught myself...)

#16 June 9th, 2005 01:33 PM

Manring

Actually, when "The Algonquin" is used in the way it was here, it usually refers to The Algonquin in NYC, which does still exist, yep, and is where the Round Table was, as already mentioned above.

Here's a link:

http://www.thealgonquin.net/

#17 June 9th, 2005 11:22 PM

MrPicMe

I can't believe there are 15(now 16 postings) devoted to the use of "LOL". People, really?! Can we go back to making Hykou? JUST KIDDING!

#18 June 10th, 2005 12:23 AM

wantingscott

once i used shorthand
             it is way too ungroovy now
              oh my fingers don't laugh.

#19 June 10th, 2005 12:36 AM

deantan

Tempted as I was to tell you how I quite literaly laughed out loud as I started to read this thread, which soon progressed to rolling on the floor laughing out loud as read further on...I pretty much figured you'd all realise I was taking the piss

My only tip on this matter is, if Im ever in a chat room I make my own versions up of nonsense abreviations and see how many of the idiots I can get to go along with it....surprisingly, or should that be worryingly it's quite a few

So if you ever see out there DAMIHAFC that's one of mine

#20 June 10th, 2005 01:36 AM

voyeur2

wantingscott wrote:

ah, yes.
if i may elevate this tour-de-fource of a literary thread even higher:

were it not the Mic'Maac Indians whowere also responsible for the Sacred Burial Ground of the Windego as described in Stephen King's "Pet Semetary"

yes, that semetary of dogs, cats, kids and wives...

LO (SORRY!!!! caught myself...)

Hmmm
WS the self confessed 4 times a week wanker weighs in again.  Ow loverly.  A kind of seminal development.

As to the Windigo mentioned by that S. King guy, my recollection is that the Windigo spirit was a norther.  In a Canadian context we are talking Swampy Cree, Northern Cree, or Athabascan origins for those legends.

A snowy place at any rate.  A snow job?

And BTW I aint gonna bite on that other letter string, I'll let someone else do the honours.

#21 June 10th, 2005 02:36 AM

wantingscott

voyeur2,

i strive for metaphysical understanding AND prostate health!!! and BTW, since i had the "snip-snip-clip" (vasectomy), my testosterone production has gone up like SHIIIINGGG!!!

i'm horny like my teen years, my wife is alot more "laid back in the sack" w/out pregnancy fears (we stopped at 2 kids),  my "load" has increased by an ounce, and i swear to gawd my hair is growing in thicker on my head, chest, beard...not my palms, though- and i think my vision IMPROVED... although the effect on kittens has not been investigated...

wscott

#22 June 10th, 2005 07:14 AM

voyeur2

wantingscott wrote:

voyeur2,

i strive for metaphysical understanding AND prostate health!!! and BTW, since i had the "snip-snip-clip" (vasectomy), my testosterone production has gone up like SHIIIINGGG!!!

i'm horny like my teen years, my wife is alot more "laid back in the sack" w/out pregnancy fears (we stopped at 2 kids),  my "load" has increased by an ounce, and i swear to gawd my hair is growing in thicker on my head, chest, beard...not my palms, though- and i think my vision IMPROVED... although the effect on kittens has not been investigated...

wscott

What was that again?  A tab of Rogain under the tongue while lapping in the lap of Luxury and something about a pussy for effect? 

Think I'll go rub some bacon, see what the sauce looks like.  I am going blind.

At least in the dark I can still see Z and LD.  Those girls got balls the size of watermelons.  They walk their talk.

Board footer