#1 March 23rd, 2005 10:09 AM

Violex_Kitty

small confession...

After spending a few months viewing countless folios at ISM, i've noticed that many of the girls write that a 'confidence boost' was one of the main reasons for doing a shoot.  This works both ways, as such myriad varieties of women being presented in their natural state is helping me to break down my own body issues.  I can honestly say that I must have been somewhat naive to be suckered in to believing that the 1% of the female population being offered up as the 'typical nude' (or 'perfect woman') were actually the norm.  In addition, the responses from (most of) the members here are positive, enthusiastic and supportive - for all of the artists on ISM.  So for me, ISM is not only art, entertainment and the occasional titillation (excuse pun), but a very basic biological enlightenment as well.

#2 March 23rd, 2005 12:21 PM

SCSIgirl

Re: small confession...

Violex_Kitty wrote:

After spending a few months viewing countless folios at ISM, i've noticed that many of the girls write that a 'confidence boost' was one of the main reasons for doing a shoot.  This works both ways, as such myriad varieties of women being presented in their natural state is helping me to break down my own body issues.  I can honestly say that I must have been somewhat naive to be suckered in to believing that the 1% of the female population being offered up as the 'typical nude' (or 'perfect woman') were actually the norm.  In addition, the responses from (most of) the members here are positive, enthusiastic and supportive - for all of the artists on ISM.  So for me, ISM is not only art, entertainment and the occasional titillation (excuse pun), but a very basic biological enlightenment as well.

This has also been my experience.  From models who have posed nude for the first time,  it was a great confidence boost.  This was a remark they made after the shoot.  Paula said it best:  she called it "empowering".
I have this theory that they are coming out of their teenage shielding.  I had a girlfriend once that did her excercising by rollerblading down West Cliff Drive in Santa Cruz.  When doing so she wore only a thong and a bikini top.  She said her worst hecklers were teenage girls.  I think the whole high school mentality of pumping yourself up and ridiculing others (both men and women do this) leaves a lot of people with battered confidence shields.  A nude shoot in a positive enviroment can help shed years of negative harassment.

"Apple of my Eye", "bated breath", "brave new world", "caught red-handed" - all coined by Shakespeare.

#3 March 24th, 2005 09:16 AM

Violex_Kitty

Re: small confession...

SCSIgirl wrote:

She said her worst hecklers were teenage girls.

Isn't that always the way?  Insecurity breeding insecurity.  Still, it's great to read in so many of the ISM girls' profiles about how their self-image has altered post-shoot.   

SCSIgirl wrote:

A nude shoot in a positive enviroment can help shed years of negative harassment.

<---signs up for 15 nude shoots.

Board footer