#1 September 27th, 2005 12:24 PM

jdudley76

I was wondering...

I've noticed that a rather large percentage of ISM's contributions come for Australia. I was wondering if this is because Australian culture is more comfortable with nudity, or if the site is just more popular there.

"This foreign policy stuff is a little frustrating."   - George W. Bush, as quoted by the New York Daily News, April 23, 2002

#2 September 28th, 2005 01:04 AM

SCSIgirl

Re: I was wondering...

anna4amy wrote:

I think their based in Melbourne, and I might be wrong but I think they go to rock venues and give out flyers.

Works for me.  I work rock venues and hand out backstage passes.  ;-}

"Apple of my Eye", "bated breath", "brave new world", "caught red-handed" - all coined by Shakespeare.

#3 September 28th, 2005 10:31 AM

shannon
Administrator

jdudley76 wrote:

I've noticed that a rather large percentage of ISM's contributions come for Australia. I was wondering if this is because Australian culture is more comfortable with nudity, or if the site is just more popular there.

We are based in Australia, so we are more known here yes, but ISM is a global project.  I don't know about australians being more comfortable with nudity that anywhere else, but I do have a few friends with the tendancy to pull their pants down at parties. 

anna4amy wrote:

I think their based in Melbourne, and I might be wrong but I think they go to rock venues and give out flyers.

huh?  This is the weirdest thing I've heard all week.  No we don't do that.
If I'm giving my number out at gigs, it's not in the hopes of seeing <i>girls</i> naked.

<p>

#4 September 28th, 2005 03:20 PM

SCSIgirl

anna4amy wrote:

SCSIgirl, are all the rock venues in Santa cruz smoke free. I can't sing any better than the average indie rock freak, but it would be nice to breath while I'm doing it. I used to do live sound engineering in 1990 and I couldn't breath properly doing that either. I'm working on a quiet stage system at the moment. It needs drum pads playing drum samples rather than live drums, but alot of great records like "Smells like Teen spirit" use triggered cascading drum samples anyway. With a quiet stage theres no feedback and the front of house is compressed like a record so it sounds loud when it really isn't, meaning you use much smaller amps and you save everones ears from serious damage. Hope your interested in all this because it would be nice to know if someones trying the same sort of thing in California.
To play music with no smoke around would be a dream.

jdudley76, Another reason ISM might be popular in Oz is that the girls are 12000 miles away from any possible hassle. Sorry about the rock music digretion.

Depends on what kind of smoke you are talking about.  On some shows (especially Reggae) NOBODY is sober.  California venues are all smoke free,  but with hundreds/thousands of smokers all rocking out,  there is no control.  Beside,  we saturate the air with so much mineral smoke,  who can tell?

As for speakers,  for decades I built and cowered under Clair Bros and ShowCo clusters.  Nowadays,  everyone is into Vertical Arrays and JBL's Vertec seems to rule the roost.  I have never heard a "quiet" system.  I have custom earplugs and permanant tinnitus for that reason.

"Apple of my Eye", "bated breath", "brave new world", "caught red-handed" - all coined by Shakespeare.

#5 October 1st, 2005 12:05 AM

OZDrummer

Re: I'm working on a quiet stage system at the moment. It needs drum pads playing drum samples rather than live drums, but alot of great records like "Smells like Teen spirit" use triggered cascading drum samples anyway. With a quiet stage theres no feedback and the front of house is compressed like a record so it sounds loud when it really isn't, meaning you use much smaller amps and you save everones ears from serious damage.

Thanks... a woman of my own heart... we play with Roland TD10, Allan and Heath Desk, through Berringer Headphone Amp for Monitor Mix, and rub a seperate Split to Front of House... Nice, Quiet, and my ears have survived... Thanks God for Technology... smile

Board footer