#1 September 23rd, 2005 12:32 AM

liandra_dahl

Best ofs

I was just thinking about threads that have been posted about favourite folios and who are the most prolific contributors and standard members complaining that they don't want to be reminded of what they are missing, and suddenly I had a little idea pop into my head and start niggling away. What about a quarterly or biannually or annually ISM best of's folio that was available to all veiwers. A compilation of the best ofs, like ISM's greatest hits. It could be interesting to see the girls mixed in a folio together. Well, I just thought I'd mention it, as the idea occured to me, and for better or worse, I've never been one to keep things to myself unless obliged to do so.

#2 September 23rd, 2005 01:42 AM

SCSIgirl

Re: Best ofs

liandra_dahl wrote:

I was just thinking about threads that have been posted about favourite folios and who are the most prolific contributors and standard members complaining that they don't want to be reminded of what they are missing, and suddenly I had a little idea pop into my head and start niggling away. What about a quarterly or biannually or annually ISM best of's folio that was available to all veiwers. A compilation of the best ofs, like ISM's greatest hits. It could be interesting to see the girls mixed in a folio together. Well, I just thought I'd mention it, as the idea occured to me, and for better or worse, I've never been one to keep things to myself unless obliged to do so.

Narrowing the field would be quite a chore.  Everyone has their own opinion not only on body styles but art vs raw sexuality.  Some have both like today's Sheila.

Maybe it could be narrowed by using the "monthly winner" or "pick of the week" as a basis.  Perhaps the forum regs could form a judging group kinda like "American Idol".  MrPicMe could be Simon.

In reality, though,  if ISM were to set up an "Artist Of The Year",  I would like to have a special folio just for that purpose.  Instruct the artist on camera ops,  like delay timer, sepia mode, etc.  and send them to a location of their  choice.  I will gladly be the foreign guide for Disneyland and Yosemite and anywhere in between.  Heck,  we could send Liandra to Hawaii and do the volcano pics.

"Apple of my Eye", "bated breath", "brave new world", "caught red-handed" - all coined by Shakespeare.

#3 September 23rd, 2005 06:06 AM

voyeur2

I think it is a good idea, and it would mean some sort of viewer voting system to pick the most popular shots.

This becomes a database design issue.  Can monitoring the current server activity be used to record the number of times each individual pic is served up, and then produce a list of the most frequently viewed pics regardless of artist?

Most popular may not be most arty, but will sell the most new subscriptions, and gratify the pic takers.

Rewriting the data flow and recording process might be the stumbling block.  Even lowly programmers need to be paid, so the cost/benefit has to tilt in favor of increased sales to justify the expense.

My vote is to get the programmers to do it a gunpoint.

Have I ever lied to you before?

#4 September 23rd, 2005 07:36 AM

SCSIgirl

voyeur2 wrote:

I think it is a good idea, and it would mean some sort of viewer voting system to pick the most popular shots.

This becomes a database design issue.  Can monitoring the current server activity be used to record the number of times each individual pic is served up, and then produce a list of the most frequently viewed pics regardless of artist?

Most popular may not be most arty, but will sell the most new subscriptions, and gratify the pic takers.

Rewriting the data flow and recording process might be the stumbling block.  Even lowly programmers need to be paid, so the cost/benefit has to tilt in favor of increased sales to justify the expense.

My vote is to get the programmers to do it a gunpoint.

Acutally there is already a counter on how many times a forum has been viewed.  I would expect that there is already a counter for how many dls an artist has.  I wouldn't go by "how many times viewed" as all folios usually get viewed.  I would go by downloads as those are the folios "good enough to keep"

"Apple of my Eye", "bated breath", "brave new world", "caught red-handed" - all coined by Shakespeare.

#5 September 23rd, 2005 05:07 PM

voyeur2

SCSIgirl wrote:

Acutally there is already a counter on how many times a forum has been viewed.  I would expect that there is already a counter for how many dls an artist has.  I wouldn't go by "how many times viewed" as all folios usually get viewed.  I would go by downloads as those are the folios "good enough to keep"

But I was talking of a counter for the individual pics, regardless of folio.  Surely most ppl only view full size the ones they prefer from a folio?  I do not download most of the time, the connection is too slow.

Have I ever lied to you before?

#6 September 24th, 2005 03:49 AM

vadek28

As a relatively new subscriber, I'd like a "Random Portfolio" button.  I suggested this by email but never got a response.  Otherwise I resort to searching on a letter and then choosing a thumbnail from the results list.

Board footer