#1 February 27th, 2005 07:01 AM

liz

Comments or "Huh?"

Ok, I am thoroughly confused and actually somewhat offended by comments left on today's folio.  One of them expresses a desire to see more shots of the artist's face, followed by the disclaimer, "I'm no fag. I'm a Full flaming heterosexual".  Uh...for one, using "fag" in that context is really kind of mean and rude.  Also, why is it even necessary to say that?  I kind of doubt that someone would have seen that comment, and thought, "Hmm, he wants to see more shots of her face, he must be gay."  I think that wanting more shots with the artist's face is a good thing; I think it implies that you see the artist as a full person, as opposed to just being interested in the naughty bits.

Also, that comment was followed by another comment by the same sponser, which says, "I LOVE YOU CLE!!!!"  What the heck is this doing in the comments for today's folio?  I thought they were for feedback/praise/etc for the artist, not general thoughts or feelings that you are having.  I don't know, I just found it....disrespectful, I guess, to the artist whose folio it was posted on.  Comments about Cle belong in...Cle's folios.

"If I can't dance, I don't want to be part of your revolution."
            -Emma Goldman

#2 February 27th, 2005 10:40 AM

zimbonies

Re: Comments or "Huh?"

liz wrote:

Ok, I am thoroughly confused and actually somewhat offended by comments left on today's folio.  One of them expresses a desire to see more shots of the artist's face, followed by the disclaimer, "I'm no fag. I'm a Full flaming heterosexual".  Uh...for one, using "fag" in that context is really kind of mean and rude.  Also, why is it even necessary to say that?

Also, that comment was followed by another comment by the same sponser, which says, "I LOVE YOU CLE!!!!"  What the heck is this doing in the comments for today's folio?

Yeah, I agree 100%.  These types of ill-thought comments are uncalled for.  There was a comment made back on Jan. 28th that offended me.  I posted a 'rant' about it in the forum and Head must have seen it also and removed the comment.

The bottom line is, it just goes to show that some people are more ignorant than others....it's almost as if anonymity gives people the right to say stupid things without remorse.

"Look at da Chort?!  He's gone mad wit power!"

#3 February 27th, 2005 08:26 PM

capiango

liz wrote:

Ok, I am thoroughly confused and actually somewhat offended by comments left on today's folio.  One of them expresses a desire to see more shots of the artist's face, followed by the disclaimer, "I'm no fag. I'm a Full flaming heterosexual".  Uh...for one, using "fag" in that context is really kind of mean and rude.  Also, why is it even necessary to say that?  I kind of doubt that someone would have seen that comment, and thought, "Hmm, he wants to see more shots of her face, he must be gay."  I think that wanting more shots with the artist's face is a good thing; I think it implies that you see the artist as a full person, as opposed to just being interested in the naughty bits.

Also, that comment was followed by another comment by the same sponser, which says, "I LOVE YOU CLE!!!!"  What the heck is this doing in the comments for today's folio?  I thought they were for feedback/praise/etc for the artist, not general thoughts or feelings that you are having.  I don't know, I just found it....disrespectful, I guess, to the artist whose folio it was posted on.  Comments about Cle belong in...Cle's folios.

When I read that comment it just reaked of drunken stupor. Not making excuses for this person though, Im sure it will get dealt with wink

#4 February 27th, 2005 10:12 PM

zimbonies

capiango wrote:

When I read that comment it just reaked of drunken stupor. Not making excuses for this person though, Im sure it will get dealt with wink

Yeah, this person will probably claim "my buddy did it, not me"...whatever.

#5 February 28th, 2005 07:01 PM

astramax

liz wrote:

'*********************************************
Agree with you regarding the use of the word "fag" - was clearly out of context and I find it generally offensive. Can't agree with you about the "I LOVE YOU CLE!!!!" comment. In my view, the tendency of some sponsors to over intellectualise in their folio comments is guilt associated. If I respond like an art critic then viewing pictures of naked girls on the internet isn't be wrong, can it? Personally I regard ISM as a bit of good fun. However, if we are responding to art, then "I LOVE YOU CLE!!!!" is a valid response and a damn sight more genuine than most of the guff added as comments. I also fail to see how "I LOVE YOU" can be offensive - unless the whole world has gone psuedo-intellectectual mad.

#6 February 28th, 2005 08:40 PM

Gimme_Danger

astramax wrote:

I also fail to see how "I LOVE YOU" can be offensive - unless the whole world has gone psuedo-intellectectual mad.

...and it does show good taste as Cle appears to be a fine upstanding, funny and attractive young lady

#7 March 1st, 2005 02:17 AM

liz

Oh, I wasn't disapproving of the "I love you" comment in general, but this comment wasn't posted on Cle's folio - it was someone else's.

"Can't agree with you about the "I LOVE YOU CLE!!!!" comment...However, if we are responding to art, then "I LOVE YOU CLE!!!!" is a valid response and a damn sight more genuine than most of the guff added as comments. I also fail to see how "I LOVE YOU" can be offensive - unless the whole world has gone psuedo-intellectectual mad.[/QUOTE]

"If I can't dance, I don't want to be part of your revolution."
            -Emma Goldman

#8 March 1st, 2005 09:18 AM

zimbonies

liz wrote:

Oh, I wasn't disapproving of the "I love you" comment in general, but this comment wasn't posted on Cle's folio - it was someone else's.

and, if I might add, Cle may or may not even see the comment in the new folio.  Why not put the "I love you" in a place where she *will* see it?

#9 March 1st, 2005 04:53 PM

astramax

zimbonies wrote:

and, if I might add, Cle may or may not even see the comment in the new folio.  Why not put the "I love you" in a place where she *will* see it?

Fair call - my mistake - you're right, a comment for her should be in her folio.

#10 March 2nd, 2005 01:51 AM

wantingscott

something i wonder: do you guys think that most of the Artists read the comments? do you think they read the forums. besides Liandra and Theda, that is. i'm just curious. maybe they are on the forum under a different name?

for instance Dandy. now she's done many contributions, and is quite vivatious. i'd think she'd get involved on the forums. but maybe artists are just like, well, artists, and let the work speak for them?

#11 March 2nd, 2005 11:15 AM

zimbonies

wantingscott wrote:

something i wonder: do you guys think that most of the Artists read the comments? do you think they read the forums. besides Liandra and Theda, that is. i'm just curious. maybe they are on the forum under a different name?

for instance Dandy. now she's done many contributions, and is quite vivatious. i'd think she'd get involved on the forums. but maybe artists are just like, well, artists, and let the work speak for them?

I should *hope* that the artist reads comments from her fans.  Otherwise, all my comments are wasted!  smile

I have seen a few comments made by the artist in their portfolio, but I would guess that most either read them and decide to reload (or not), or they 'take the money and run' and don't read at all.

#12 March 2nd, 2005 11:35 PM

Head

zimbonies wrote:

I should *hope* that the artist reads comments from her fans.  Otherwise, all my comments are wasted!  smile

I have seen a few comments made by the artist in their portfolio, but I would guess that most either read them and decide to reload (or not), or they 'take the money and run' and don't read at all.

We give all artists a password when their set goes up, though sometimes several months have passed since they submitted their folio, and the email bounces.  About 2/3 of all artists use their password so one would assume they're reading their comments.  And we know that some read them obsessively!

#13 March 3rd, 2005 08:42 AM

zimbonies

Head wrote:

We give all artists a password when their set goes up, though sometimes several months have passed since they submitted their folio, and the email bounces.  About 2/3 of all artists use their password so one would assume they're reading their comments.  And we know that some read them obsessively!

That's good to hear!  Thanks Head!

#14 March 3rd, 2005 09:05 AM

zimbonies

liz wrote:

"Ok, I am thoroughly confused and actually somewhat offended by comments left on today's folio.  One of them expresses a desire to see more shots of the artist's face, followed by the disclaimer, "I'm no fag. I'm a Full flaming heterosexual".  Uh...for one, using "fag" in that context is really kind of mean and rude.  Also, why is it even necessary to say that?"...
..."I think that wanting more shots with the artist's face is a good thing; I think it implies that you see the artist as a full person, as opposed to just being interested in the naughty bits."

Again, there was (for me) another offensive comment for today's primary folio.  "Nice clam" was the statement.  How old are we?!  Very juvenile IMO.
Is there not a disclaimer for posting that states "please keep comments appropriate to the site"???  On top of that, are there not other ways to say "nice clam" without cheapening the photography or the artist?  Jeesh....
a-course, maybe I'm just being a fuddy-duddy...

#15 March 3rd, 2005 10:07 AM

ruby

zimbonies wrote:

Again, there was (for me) another offensive comment for today's primary folio.  "Nice clam" was the statement.  How old are we?!  Very juvenile IMO.
Is there not a disclaimer for posting that states "please keep comments appropriate to the site"???  On top of that, are there not other ways to say "nice clam" without cheapening the photography or the artist?  Jeesh....
a-course, maybe I'm just being a fuddy-duddy...

#16 March 3rd, 2005 10:11 AM

ruby

opps,

meant to say that alot of the models don't have access to a compu, when my set went up i was in london and didn't realise they were up.  So its hard if you don't check your email too.

obviously some just do it for the cash and don't care- but you can tell by looking at their set that they haven't put any effort into it.

others have really taken up the challenge and have spent hours and then are very interested to see what comments are posted!

i personally took 4 hours and loved all of it!

#17 March 3rd, 2005 10:15 AM

ruby

i know! i agree!  hopefully head will notice and take it down.  some peeps are so annoying wink

#18 March 4th, 2005 12:13 AM

wantingscott

ruby, i had no idea you were an ISM artist. that IS a great folio... time well spent!!!

Board footer