#1 April 12th, 2019 10:57 AM

viva

powerful artist statement from mallory

wow... Mallory's artist statement is so brave and powerful.

I won't paste the whole thing here (go and give her some clicks!) but it's a powerful and moving story about overcoming disability through feminism and sex work. I think so many people even without disabilities find it difficult to survive and succeed in this cut-throat world so having the ingenuity and empowerment to work with what you've got, own it, and take pride in it can mean the difference between a life of scarcity and scrambling and a life enriched by a sense of inner peace.

I'll leave you with this quote:

"Through feminism and sex work I think I have made myself into someone I could of really benefited from being around when I was younger."

#2 April 22nd, 2019 04:28 AM

Kaye_C

Re: powerful artist statement from mallory

Completely agree. It's beautiful.
(on a total sidenote, her tattoos were fun to read too!)

Sometimes I'll see a folio on here or read an artist statement that just really makes me wish I could meet up with these people irl & grab a coffee & just shoot the shit for a few hours about everything & nothing at all. Is that just me? Just so many cool, talented, interesting, intelligent (and yes, sexy as hell) girls contributing! aaaah!

#3 April 23rd, 2019 10:56 AM

viva

Re: powerful artist statement from mallory

Kaye it's definitely not just you! I also fall in love all the time. The women who submit here at ISM are so varied, interesting and inspiring. When we're lucky enough to get people together for a Feck art exhibition (they get pretty wild!) there's no end to the amazing conversations to be had.

I love that your artist statement is all about turning 30 - it was a big deal for me too when I did! I had all those feelings you describe, about losing my youth and all that - but to be honest I've never felt sexier! I think my main meltdown about getting older came at 18. I was a bit of a pervy young girl and it broke my heart to realise I wasn't "jailbait" anymore. When I think about that now it's a pretty weird to feel but at the time I was devestated, lol.

Board footer