#126 December 4th, 2014 03:44 PM

artemesia

Re: Currently Streaming/listening to

Haha, playing that death metal clarinet thing really did lift my spirits and it definitely helped me move a few sweet treats to cinema goers for a worthy cause!

I just jumped to back in time to 1986 though and found 'Dark Arts' in the Steve Albini production discog.

Dark Arts (Skins)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZSm0vHsGMw
I listened to the other tracks linking from that one, and I loved the clarity of the different instrumentation (flute, xylophone). Albini worked as an audio engineer on this recording, and this was one of the first bands he recorded. I found it so interesting to listen to and the little touches in this recording such as the placement of some of the drum sounds really enhanced the psychadelicness of this bands sound that spills over from the Velvet Underground piece of history.

I realised in this past fornight that I missed Steve Albini in person when he was here for Face the Music, and gave the keynote address.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz_CPzuwSk4

To quote Tom Robinson from top youtube comment in relation to the above link
"EVERY. MUSICIAN. SHOULD. WATCH. THIS.
If you don't have time, then read The Guardian's transcript of it here: http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/n … ic-in-full I don't particularly share Steve's musical tastes and this is quite a dense listen, but his optimistic analysis of the future for music, musicians and music fans is absolutely spot on in every respect. I couldn't agree with him more. Far from blaming file sharing for bringing about the end of civilisation as we know it, his conclusion in eight words is: "The Internet Has Solved The Problem With Music".

#127 December 8th, 2014 03:35 PM

artemesia

I've been reading a lot of biographies lately and Dusty Springfield just stands out as one of the best. I think it's her awesome work ethic and her style! She was one of the first white soul singers, and was very referential to her roots once remarking that sometimes she wished she had been born black. She passed of breast cancer in 1999
6a0120a9506f8e970b01348057ab27970c-800wi
She was also one of the first artists to stand against apartheid in South Africa in 1964 by refusing to play to segregated audiences (the union which she was apart of had contractual stipulations one of which was no audience segregation). She was deported after a few shows. She faced criticism that she did so to further her career but her management asserted that she had to be convinced to play there. Her dedication and hard work in the soul scene was her own best advertisement.
I wish I could've seen her perform!
first album below!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqC7S74 … _w&index=1

#128 December 9th, 2014 08:47 AM

polaroid

Wow!!!!!!:):):):) I'm so moved you posted about Dusty!!!!!:):):):) <3

Hers is the music of my mum's childhood in the 60's & thanks to her I also grew up surrounded by her records & thinking about/listening to her is always a beautifully nostalgic experience. She's an incredible person who went through a lot in her life but both her & her story seem to have been forgotten so it's amazing that you've discovered her through your recent love of biographies:):):):) I absolutely love reading biographies too:):)

I shall write again soon re Albini the moment I get a chance to listen to the talk (which will be amazing!!) but just wanted to write & tell you that you're so cool for appreciating Dusty & for posting about her:):):):)

xx

Ps there's a really amazing documentary about her life that I saw a few years ago that I think you'd love so I'll see if I can remember what it was & if I can find it for you:)

Dusty-Springfield-Harpsicho.jpg

ds.jpg

Find your truth. Face your truth. Speak your truth. Be your truth.

#129 December 17th, 2014 12:01 PM

polaroid

Hey Artemesia,

After watching Steve Albini's talk (which I loved & found genuinely fascinating) I've been thinking loads about the way the music industry is now compared to the past & would love to know your thoughts about whether you think the internet age has really democratised everything or whether artists are still being exploited, with the internet acting as yet another outlet for exploitation to flourish in the form of business models like those of iTunes or Spotify. The internet has certainly made it a lot easier to potentially get your stuff out there to a mass audience, but because there is a seemingly endless amount of stuff out there online, has it reached the point where getting your own stuff noticed is actually no easier than before & requires just a different set of marketing skills which not everyone has the ability to use? As far as reaching a large number of people, it certainly feels like success still unfortunately needs the kind of mainstream promotion that only a small number of artists will ever get to enjoy so has anything really changed except for a lucky few? I've thought about this stuff a lot recently & find it very hard to answer those questions myself & I don't know the extent to which my own ability to discover amazing new stuff thanks to the internet is matched by any appreciable difference for the majority of artists who wanna get noticed. I'd love to know what you think?

And speaking of discovering awesome new stuff, I'm kind of starting to enjoy the psychedelic atmosphere of Dark Arts thanks to the track you posted!!:) That was a really cool choice!!  It totally reminds me of the kind of stuff my dad was into in the 60s/70s, like Yes or Jethro Tull, especially in some of the instrumentation & atmospheres created. When I was quite young I loved looking through all my dad's vinyl records & choosing stuff to play & I remember being totally blown away by this album...

Yes_-_Time_and_a_Word_-_UK_front_cover.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slo_ZB9QNeA

Pretty incredible orchestration & sounds & totally evokes that whole incredible time. I normally can't really understand or get into that whole progressive rock scene but for some reason, & it could just be the connection with my dad, I think this album is so cool:):)

What do you think?

Rediscovering this again because of you recommending Dark Arts is another really cool thing to come out of our Albini-fest:):)

Ben xx

#130 December 18th, 2014 03:51 PM

metal1011

Traci, your videos are really amazing and down to earth.  You have a great sense of humor and are sexy and beautiful as well.  Thanks for sharing who you are on the internet.  You're a gem. I love Canada and visit there often.

#131 December 18th, 2014 04:43 PM

viva

Hey Metal what a nice compliment for traci! You might want to leave it as a comment on her video as well, just to make sure she sees it smile

#132 March 30th, 2015 07:06 AM

artemesia

just been working at a festival over the weekend.. thought y'all might like some chill music

http://fortunes.bandcamp.com/

#133 March 31st, 2015 10:49 AM

Laney
Administrator

Yesss, this will be my soundtrack for the day. Nothing like some chill electronica to put me in a good mood at work! smile What was the festival?

Editor/Admin/Forum queen

#134 March 31st, 2015 10:52 AM

Laney
Administrator

Aah I love that sound at 1:44 of "Keeper", reminds me of Bucephalus Bouncing Ball https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQdhzQkddCc

Editor/Admin/Forum queen

#135 April 14th, 2015 01:26 AM

Lyrah

I cannot stop listening to The Black Keys...they're inspirational! I find them reflective and romantic and sad and happy and sexy...suits my every mood. I cannot wait to get back onto a laptop so I can read all of these posts properly!

#136 April 14th, 2015 10:25 AM

sondrine

I'm currently obsessed with this song O Si Keka to sway around my room in my underwear ...

Hiatus did a crazy cover of 'Dare' by Gorillaz  ...

What does everybody think of the new Courtney Barnett album 'Sometimes I sit and think and sometimes I just sit' ?!  ...

And, after recently watching 'Snatch' I've been digging the funky Guy Ritchie soundtracks, particularly The Payback by our lord and saviour - James Brown. Bless.

Hope you enjoy my tunes of the week !
xx Sondrine

#137 April 20th, 2015 11:44 PM

artemesia

I've never had a reasson to listen to Courtney Barnett, but I'm coming around to soft pop and I love the Melbournite feel.
Love Hiatus - will have to definitely check it out!

Soundtracks are the bomb! I remember falling in love with the Morvern Callar soundtrack for like a year- I think that and Prefuse 72 made up a huge portion of my everyday listening when I was living by the beach.

Ps Laney - loved the aphex throwback...

#138 April 20th, 2015 11:45 PM

artemesia

OMG Snatch soundtrack is ACE!

#139 April 21st, 2015 10:42 AM

Laney
Administrator

Aah I love Courtney Barnett's album. I wasn't a huge fan of her at first, I thought her singing voice sounded kind of lazy. But after seeing her at Golden Plains I completely fell in love! It's so nice to hear someone singing about Melbourne life.

Fun fact: one of the Feck video editors was offered the chance to edit the video clip to Depreston (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NVOawOXxSA), but turned it down because they didn't know who Courtney Barnett was and they were busy with other projects. Two weeks later she performs Depreston on Ellen and Rolling Stone gives her album 4.5 stars...

Last edited by Laney (April 21st, 2015 10:43 AM)

Editor/Admin/Forum queen

#140 April 21st, 2015 10:55 AM

Laney
Administrator

Here is a link to the album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2sW53Hjo30. It's SO MELBOURNE.

Editor/Admin/Forum queen

#141 April 21st, 2015 11:20 AM

sondrine

Thanks Artemesia, I'm listening to the Morvern Callar soundtrack right now, liking it so far :-)

Laney, my heart bleeds for that editor. I'm so sorry for the loss. I'm going to see her in May and I'm most definitely throwing my underpants on stage...

I know what you mean about her sounding lazy, but I've always thought of it more as a Tom Waits or Lou Reed kinda spoken style ? It's part of her charm, the way her stream of consciousness makes you think her own thoughts, and how she makes mundane things seem nice, and how it's SO RELATEABLE and awesome when you hear things you recognise in music. Like in The Cat Empire's song 'The Crowd" where they sing

'Let me sing inside the crowded trams
Let me dance among the traffic jams
We're going to sleep
On the St Kilda sands"

Many warm summer nights after the markets falling asleep on the sand, many packed tram rides into the city. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy listening to aussies.

But now, I must find an autumn soundtrack - suggestions anybody ?
Sondrine xx

#142 April 22nd, 2015 02:07 PM

Laney
Administrator

I disliked it at first but it grew on me quickly, now I love listening to her drawling Aussie accent. It gives me that warm and fuzzy feeling as well. So many singers in local bands have an inexplicable American accent when they perform...

Hiatus's cover of Dare is amazing! As for an Autumn soundtrack, this is one of my favourite Autumn songs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C9Vuk9K0HM

I just found out about this Melbourne synth outfit called Forces and instantly loved them. Ben, they're similar to the music you like, they have a bit of an 80s/90s electronica feel. Check them out here: https://soundcloud.com/aaforces

Last edited by Laney (April 22nd, 2015 02:08 PM)

Editor/Admin/Forum queen

#143 April 24th, 2015 08:04 AM

polaroid

Thanks for the recommendation Laney!!:):) You wowed me again with such cool musical taste!!:) I think you must have a sixth sense for finding cool stuff because i absolutely LOVED Forces. I've been searching in vain recently for a band that sounds like them & so thanks loads for sending this music my way:):) They have such a complex & clever multi-layered sound & a trippy kind of 80s/90's electronica vibe just like you said:) I LOVE the mood & atmosphere these songs create. I think i'm a fan already:):) Soooooo cool!!:):)

At the moment i've fallen totally for an incredible album by an amazing band i've found, which i think is one of the most beautiful sounding albums i've ever heard with a sound & emotion that just totally cuts me up & makes me burst into tears at the same time as feeling so euphorically happy (i love bands that write stuff that can make you feel both those things at the same time!!). Im totally fascinated by how unique & heartbreakingly beautiful her voice is & how thought provoking, haunting & intelligent her words & melodies are. She's a beautiful, inspiring & amazing person too.

Knowing how much you loved Bat for Lashes, i thought of you when i first heard this band & i think you might like them so thought i'd share a few songs...

Marina and The Diamonds:-

Immortal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYGKxxTXqSs

Savages

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxaTAFXgykU

Better Than That

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N80eix30Evk

If you like the sound of these songs, cried & danced too & want to check out the album, its called Froot

Ben xx

Last edited by polaroid (May 2nd, 2015 09:37 AM)

#144 April 24th, 2015 08:37 AM

polaroid

Hey Lyrah:)

Really cool & exciting to find someone who loves The Black Keys too:):) No one else i know seems to know about them!! I really loved your description...reflective, romantic, sad, happy and sexy describes their sound so perfectly:):) I loved watching them on Jools Holland last year & i really hope to go see them next time they tour in the UK. Have you ever seen them live? It must be incredible!!!:):)

I've been trying to work out what would be the best song to post to show people what they're like but it's so hard to choose!! Any thoughts?? I think i need some help!!:)

Ben xx

#145 April 24th, 2015 02:39 PM

sondrine

Laney, I could definitely dance to Forces ! Seeing as it's the Friday, I'm ready for a good boogie !

- Tonight, I'm going to see one of my favourite bands, Empat Lima (I couldnt pick my favourite song so there's a link to the album instead) - for some energetic, jumpy-boppy dancing
empat lima

- Saturday, I'm going to a "Psychedelic/Stoner/Doom/Blues" gig at an old kindergarten that's going to be knocked down, featuring a band called Elbrus - for some swaying and head banging
- Sunday, I'm going clean my room and will need fun music. The funnest song I've been listening to lately is  Girls like us by The Julie Ruin (The vocalist is Kathleen Hanna, Queen of Feminism - from Le Tigre)
kathleen

Ben, I know what you mean by songs that are heartbreakingly beautiful. It made me think of one of my favourite pieces by Nils Frahm called Re It's so calming and beautiful and you feel so weightless and tranquil, but at the same time, it's beauty triggers heart pulpitations... MY EMOTIONS !

Have a good weekend everyone, I'd love to hear what you end up listening to !
Sondrine xx

Last edited by sondrine (April 24th, 2015 02:50 PM)

#146 April 24th, 2015 06:41 PM

trevor

Sondrine and Ben, I love your descriptions of music that moves you deeply.  One of my favourites,  Isolde's" Liebstod" from Wagner's "Tristan  und Isolde" is so  obviously affecting that I think it needs no statement here from me.  It is performed by the great Birgit Nilsson: http://youtu.be/uSGbM2jvahY.

#147 April 25th, 2015 12:12 PM

artemesia

Sondrine! I love Empat Lima - they are my favourites ever! I hope to see you on the d-floor one day wink

#148 April 27th, 2015 03:42 PM

sondrine

Thanks for the music Trevor, a lovely thing to wake up to on a Monday morning :-)

Artemesia - high five ! Pretty sure they're playing again this Friday, can't get enough !

Sondrine ~

#149 April 27th, 2015 07:48 PM

trevor

Sondrine, speaking of music, I see and hear in my imagination a video duet with you looking through old, leather-bound rare books in a beautiful, wood-paneled library, whilst another loveliest of lovely women plays one of the Bach suites on her viola.  Another violist  and I had a sweet exchange with her a year or so ago about her playing.  I should also mention that her folio, like yours, was also exquisite.

Hmm, is it off topic to discuss currently streaming/listening to in one's own mind?

Last edited by trevor (April 27th, 2015 10:53 PM)

#150 April 28th, 2015 10:59 PM

Laney
Administrator

Thanks for the recommendation Ben, my headphones at home just bit the dust so I'll listen to the songs when I get to work tomorrow.

Sondrine, there's a great doco about Kathleen Hanna on Netflix called The Punk Singer - I think you'd like it. I'd love to see Empat Lima with you one day too! smile

Trevor, that's a beautiful fantasy. I listened to Liebestod on Sunday while taking some photos I will post soon on another thread. And it's not off topic to post songs you're listening to in your mind. Go ahead smile

Last edited by Laney (April 28th, 2015 11:00 PM)

Editor/Admin/Forum queen

Board footer