#1 December 9th, 2014 09:49 PM

blissed

I think good ads are goods for us

And I think this probably one of the best ads I've seen (scroll down to the video.) http://www.adweek.com/news/advertising- … -ad-161258

#2 December 9th, 2014 11:13 PM

polaroid

Re: I think good ads are goods for us

I agree!! I think this ad is so beautiful & I remember when I first saw it a few weeks ago it really took me by surprise. The new tradition of these big budget emotionally hard-hitting Christmas ads by these big retailers like John Lewis has really exploded onto the public consciousness these past few years here in the UK, with each company spending more & more to try & outdo the other in a kind of emotional arms race. There was huge anticipation before the release of this one, the premiere of the John Lewis Christmas ad is becoming a national event now.

I agree with you that good ads are good for us, especially when they feature such a heart warming message which really emphasises what this time of year should mean. I find it fascinating though that the bigger, more emotional & more societally prominent these ads become, the more uneasy some people become to the point where the inner cynic in some of us perhaps inevitably starts to feel a little uncomfortable with the idea that we might be having our emotions manipulated in order to spend our money with one store rather than the other, something that somehow doesn't seem to bother us with other advertising. This appeared to be demonstrated shortly after this ad was released as the news stories focussing on how beautiful it was were slowly replaced by those shocking us with the news of how much John Lewis were selling the Monty the Penguin toy for, how much people were selling them for on eBay & how exploited we all are.

My favourite Christmas ad this year though would definitely have to be this one:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWF2JBb1bvM

This was also the most contentious & sparked the most debate & news stories. It was shown first in cinemas & is so moving it had audiences in tears & led many to think it was a film trailer & only at the end realised it was an ad, which again led some to anger that such a poignant subject was being used to emotionally manipulate people as if somehow the message was lost simply because it was presented in an ad. This was one of the top news stories on tv & in the papers for a few days & sparked really heated debate but all this made me feel so glad that I'm not a cynical person because I found this ad so incredibly powerful & breathtakingly moving & the fact that it was made in partnership with & to raise money for the Royal British Legion means that I believe it is the criticism of the ad that is cynical & not the ad itself.

Would love to know what others think?

Ben

Find your truth. Face your truth. Speak your truth. Be your truth.

#3 December 10th, 2014 04:04 AM

blissed

The Christmas football match. True story.  Doesn't make me shop at Sainsbury's though or spend any more on Christmas. I'm, actually a Sainsbury's fan because of their organic food and their Melon segments are fucking amazing!! I'm just off their now to get Olive oil, yogurt, butter, peppers, tomatoes and mushrooms to make spaghetti. Apart from the tomatoes it's all organic. Couldn't do that when I was in Melbourne. I had to travel in to Vic market or out to Belgrave. That was 7 years ago so hopefully organic food is more available there now.

#4 December 10th, 2014 10:51 AM

polaroid

Yes indeed, it is very much a true story, that's what makes it so moving to me, & because we see in those men & in that moment a powerful & moving allegory for our collective humanity amongst the unstoppable inertia of the madness & futility of those European wars. It cuts through all the  propaganda which those who wage war use & require to dehumanise the enemy & reminds us that all those young men on both sides, in trench, air & at sea often had more in common with each other than with those who sent them there.

You're right about the ad, it won't make me more likely to shop in Sainsburys but it will make me want to buy the special bar of chocolate though which donates funds to the Royal British Legion which is something that's really important to me. It's good to find another Sainsburys fan haha!!!:):) My mum & dad only ever shopped at Sainsburys when I was little so I've grown up shopping there & it's still the only place I like, although I love the food in M&S but it's so expensive so that's usually a treat when I get stuff from there. I hate all the other supermarkets, especially Tesco which is the work of the devil...I hate it in there, the food, the atmosphere, the attitude of the staff etc etc so it's been hilarious to witness their recent fall from grace!!

I love Sainsburys' organic range too!!!:):):)

Ben

Ps hope you enjoyed your spaghetti, it sounds delicious!! I made spaghetti carbonara tonight & was really pleased with how it worked out, was gorgeous:):)

Find your truth. Face your truth. Speak your truth. Be your truth.

#5 December 10th, 2014 10:58 AM

viva

I'm clearly a cynic because both ads make me uncomfortable! Oooooh I just feel all creepy crawly inside ;_; that's just today though, and maybe these specific ads? I don't know, I really like crying at some commercials sometimes. Some commercials feel simpler and I'm happy to be touched by them. And I very much like clever or funny ads, but these two... I think it's that extra amount of calculation that goes into a huge-budget ad like these that makes me feel squirrely, like pop music that tugs my strings without satisfying my intellect, I feel like I've had my heart drugged and my story-place triggered by a remote control and there's not connection and there's not beauty there, for me, so to be aroused to emotion in the absence of what I perceive as depth/beauty/authenticity, it feels violating. Mrrr!!

I think they're cinematically wonderful though and I marvel at the ability to tell stories in these ways, these super-quick, super-effective push-buttons. Maybe it's the actual content I don't like here? I think it maybe could be the themes, because I watched this one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSLOnR1s74o (2011 John Lewis Xmas advert) and while I found it a bit schmaltzy, I liked it ok and enjoyed the message and the path we took to get there.

It's not that I don't think ads can be good, it's just that I don't think those ads are good, somehow for me there's something too facile, too schmoozy? Maybe I just don't connect because I don't understand the war-reference, or the place these companies and/or themes have in British hearts?

here are some moving ads I love so you guys don't think im the worst person ever wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R706isyDrqI - 1984 Apple computer ad (dir. Ridley Scott) this is just cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RtjH5wZdjA - amazing heart-warming commerical that was going around FB a few months ago, for Thai Life Insurance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s22HX18wDY - another thai one someone sent me, maybe my heart is just thai? so moved.

I am trying to find this one that made me cry heaps about people on their way home, or separated from family, or something... I think it was for a phone company, but I can't find it...

so then I started looking up tearjerk-y commercials so I found some more, this one is so cute: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La3b_1F8h_4 - for gum. DAD!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu9sWjnJFHU - for dog food. DOG!

#6 December 11th, 2014 06:09 AM

blissed

Viva, I think most people who like these ads accept them as beneficialites (beneficial parasites.).( Like earth worms or flowers, or just people who are beneficial to others while making a living.) and in that way they’re multi functional.

Polaroid, Yes  the spag was nice thanks smile If I use the right amount of pepper it makes the yogurt and flaked almonds afterwards taste bloody amazing!!

I like the war ad, I think the ww1 christmas truce was an amazing event.

#7 December 15th, 2014 06:58 AM

blissed

We've been talking about this at work and Viva quite a few people share your view. All I can say is the shitty bit with the Sainsbury's logo is at the end, when you've enjoyed 99% of the ad. Which means my assessment of it is 99% correct smile

#8 December 15th, 2014 08:54 AM

viva

Yeah, I'm trying to think if I would enjoy it as a short film. The christmas army respite I would have, but the little penguin story I think would have been too schmaltzy for me. You could tell the same story with more depth and make it a little less in-your-face maybe... but I wish I could go back in time and evaluate it as a short film, that would tell me more about how much I am influenced by its being an ad! Before this I thought emotionally tweaking ads were something I liked, and there still are ones I like, so I'm not sure.

Board footer