#1 January 16th, 2015 08:03 PM

trevor

keyword searches

Dear Viva, is there a reason one cannot conduct keyword searches of the folios?  For example, some months ago, a contributor stated that she loved and played the viola.  This was commented upon by several in the comments and the contributor replied.  It turned her comments section into a forum of sorts.  In any event, trying to find that particular folio would be very easy with a keyword search if it were possible.  As it is, it seems that one would have to tediously review many past folios, one by one to find it.  The filters by date and country are not very helpful.

Thank you, very much.

Cheers,

Trevor

Post script: I thought the symbol, <3, represented breasts but when you used it in a reply I finally thought to look it up.  Now that I know its true meaning, I can send it back to you, with thanks: <3!!

#2 January 19th, 2015 02:39 PM

viva

Re: keyword searches

Hey there,

Well, keyword searching is one of those things that seems innocuous, but actually comes loaded with all sorts of cultural norms, stereotypes, and expectations we prefer to avoid. For example, it's sweet that you want to search for "viola", and I also wish I could search for that. But in general, folks on erotic sites who want to search, are looking for contributors to be categorized by hair color, breast size, body type, age, or what kind of costume she wears, etc. We highly prefer to not even begin to categorize people, especially in ways which can be felt as degrading.

So unfortunately at this point the viola baby goes out with the big tits bathwater. Hopefully in the future we will find a way to broaden our search parameters without pandering to traditional ways of objectifying women who produce erotic material wink

-V

#3 January 19th, 2015 03:09 PM

Laney
Administrator

viva wrote:

So unfortunately at this point the viola baby goes out with the big tits bathwater.

Haha... viola baby. Well said!

Editor/Admin/Forum queen

#4 January 20th, 2015 07:49 PM

trevor

Viva and Devochka, I actually had in mind a simple word search not a search with objectifying key words.  In any event, the word search is actually very simple by another means so I don't think it is necessary for you to change anything.  I do agree entirely with your objectives.  Cheers, Trevor

#5 January 29th, 2015 05:51 PM

speedracer19

To the end of clearer and quicker searches, why not just allow each user their own personal "favorites" section with their account? So they can then save their favorite artists to their own account?

This may save quite a bit of time for those attempting to search and make their use of the website much more harmonious! wink

#6 January 30th, 2015 09:18 AM

Laney
Administrator

Good suggestion speedracer!

Editor/Admin/Forum queen

#7 January 31st, 2015 05:07 PM

speedracer19

Thanks Devochka! It's something I have thought for awhile but never had any organic way of bringing it up.

Until now! What do you think the chances are of it becoming reality? smile

#8 February 2nd, 2015 09:25 AM

Laney
Administrator

I think the chances are pretty good! We're looking at redesigning the website right now and improving lots of features. Exciting times!

Editor/Admin/Forum queen

#9 February 10th, 2015 02:00 PM

Fe3Cman

Ah perfect! I was considering starting a thread with site suggestions, but seems we are already on the topic here. Anyway my suggestions are:

-When a folio is posted, the artist has a little write up about the shoot, not the same as the artist statement. Once they are no longer on the home page there's no way to read it again. Any chance of having that as part of each folio? I definitely enjoy reading about the shoot and I'm sure most other members do too.

-Is there a reason why the preview thumbnails are sooooo small? They are that small that they don't really serve much purpose. Would there be any harm in being able to click on the preview thumbnails and have a full size preview open in a new window? 

-Being able to watch/stream videos on the website would be awesome! Like IFM and BA.

-There have been some incredible artists over the 13 years of ISM, some who have come back for a reload and some who haven't. Have you ever considered inviting back some old "Classics". I think it would be pretty exciting to see some folios from artists that we otherwise would have thought would never appear on the site again. Who cares if they are 10 years older now, that's not what this site is about.

I think there were a few more but just can't think of them right now.

Last edited by Fe3Cman (February 10th, 2015 02:55 PM)

#10 February 10th, 2015 02:39 PM

viva

Those are really great suggestions, I love them all. Thanks very much! we are in the (slow, yes!) process of collecting these suggestions and really working towards a complete revamp of the ISM site and user experience. So stay tuned and keep your observations coming! no pun intended wink

Board footer